Wednesday 15 February 2012

The Week Rolls On

The healthy tree next to Mary Queen of Scots'
     Things have been going rather well thus far. I am starting to get involved in a few clubs (sporting clubs) and societies (academic clubs) in addition to my classes, including the Rifle Club, the Catholic Society, and the Outdoor Society, to name a few. They have socials and events throughout the week in addition to the regular meetings. In the UK, in fact, no university has scheduled classes on Wednesday afternoons specifically so that clubs and other sport groups can meet.
     However, I did not go to the rifle range today, because a friend's friend is in town from Barcelona for a few days. We walked around the town for a little while before going into St Mary's College and the King James VI Library. This library, though small, is well over 400 hundred years old and is lined with many old, somewhat elegant-looking books. A veritable treasure-trove, in my opinion, if only because it is so old.
Mary Queen of Scots' Tree
    In the courtyard, what I would call St Mary's Quad, are two trees. One of these trees was planted back in the day by Mary Queen of Scots. The tree, equally as poor as the Queen, is withering and has to be supported by several wooden beams.  The other tree, I don't know how long it has been there, is very healthy and green and tall and would be good for climbing if it isn't frowned upon.

     I have yet to explore the city outside of the three main streets and the university buildings but I plan to soon. More exploration this weekend.

1 comment: